Chicken fried steak recipe
Chicken fried steak
|cube steaks||4 (about 1/3 lb. each)|
|flour||1 1/2 cup|
|fresh ground black pepper, divided||2 tsps.|
|kosher salt or sea salt, divided||2 tsps.|
|smoked paprika||1/2 tsp.|
|onion powder||1/2 tsp.|
|garlic powder||1/2 tsp.|
|baking soda||1/2 tsp.|
|baking powder||1/2 tsp.|
|buttermilk||1 1/2 cups|
|vegetable oil||1 cup|
|Chicken Fried Steak|
|milk||2 to 3 cups|
|heavy whipping cream||1/2 cup|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Combine flour, one teaspoon black pepper, one teaspoon salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a shallow dish.
- Whisk together buttermilk, Sauce, and eggs in a separate shallow bowl.
- Remove as much moisture as possible from the cube steaks by patting them dry with a paper towel. Using one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of pepper, season to taste. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before patting dry with a paper towel.
- Dredge the cube steaks in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess, then in the buttermilk-egg mixture, letting the excess drip off, and finally in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Place the breaded cube steaks on a sheet pan or metal rack and press any leftover flour mixture into the steaks, making sure they are fully covered. Allow for a 10-minute rest period.
- Preheat the oven to 225 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet or big cast iron skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. The amount of oil you’ll need is determined by the size of your skillet. It should be around 1/4-inch deep. The steaks are shallow fried rather than deep fried.
- Cook two steaks at a time in the pan for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. If you flip the breading more than once, it will fall off. If you fry more than two steaks at a time, the pan can become too crowded, causing the breading to fall off.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and place them on paper towels to drain. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Reduce the heat to mild in the skillet.
Chicken Fried Steak Directions
- Fill a heat-safe bowl or a glass measuring cup halfway with the excess grease (I used my Pyrex). Scrape the skillet clean with a spatula. We want all of those delicious bits to stay in the skillet and spice the gravy.
4 tablespoons of the grease should be returned to the hot skillet.
- Whisk in the flour and whisk for another two to three minutes, or until the mixture is nice and golden brown.
Slowly drizzle in about 2 1/2 cups of cream and milk into the skillet, whisking continuously. It will seem a little insane at first, but it will all come together in the end.
- Continue to whisk when bringing the gravy to a low boil. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the gravy is smooth and creamy. If the gravy becomes too thick, add a splash of milk. To taste, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken fried steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, and green vegetables of your choice.
Serving Size: 4
Calories Per Serving: 302
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 15g 5%
Cholesterol 120mg 40%
Total Fat 15g 19%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Unsaturated Fat 4g
Trans Fat 7g
Dietary Fiber 3g 11%
Protein 26g 52%
Sodium 478mg 21%
Sugars 2g 4%