Fried Chicken and waffles recipe
Fried Chicken and waffles
|boneless, skinless chicken thighs||8|
|Vegetable Oil, for deep frying|
Seasoned flour crust
|flour||3 cups (384 g)|
|cornstarch||⅓ cup (43 g)|
|baking powder||2 tsps.|
|garlic powder||2 tsps.|
|onion powder||2 tsps.|
|kosher salt||2 tsps.|
|freshly cracked black pepper||2 tsps.|
|buttermilk Or soured whole milk||2 cups (480 mL)|
|kosher salt||1 tbsp.|
|garlic powder||½ tbsp.|
|onion powder||½ tbsp.|
|hot sauce or chili powder||1 tbsp.|
|smoked paprika||1 tsp|
Spicy honey butter sauce
|honey or maple syrup||¼ cup (85 g)|
|chili powder||½ tsp|
|unsalted butter||4 tbsps. (57 g)|
|kosher salt||½ tsp|
- Whisk the buttermilk or soured milk, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, hot sauce, and smoked paprika together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the boneless, skinless chicken thigh to the bowl, making sure every thigh is covered in the brine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the chicken marinate in the buttermilk brine from 1 hour to overnight in the fridge.
- In a dutch oven pot, heat up about half the pot’s worth of vegetable oil. Allow the oil to reach 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/ 160 degrees C if using a fan-forced oven).
- While the oil is heating up, in a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and seasonings. Take each chicken thigh from the brine and dredge into the seasoned flour. Thoroughly coat the chicken all over, then let rest on a plate for five minutes before frying.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil (no more than about 4 thighs per batch) until golden brown, crispy, and cooked through completely, about 8-9 minutes.
- Carefully take the chicken out of the oil and place them on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack and let cool slightly before serving. Repeat until all the chicken thighs are fried.
- Make the Belgian Waffles and serve the chicken on top of the waffles, then drizzle generously with spicy honey butter sauce or maple syrup.
Serving Size: 8
Calories Per Serving: 1012
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 72g 26%
Cholesterol 266mg 89%
Total Fat 54g 69%
Protein 24g 48%
Sodium 852mg 37%
Sugars 24g 48%