For the spice mix:
|chili powder||2 tbsps.|
|kosher salt||1 1/2 tsp.|
|granulated garlic||1 tsp.|
|granulated onion||1 tsp.|
|dried oregano||1/2 tsp.|
|ground cumin||1 tsp,|
|black pepper||1/4 tsp.|
|cayenne pepper (optional)||A Pinch|
|Canned black olives|
|Sliced green onions|
For the nachos:
|vegetable oil||1 tsp.|
|pound ground beef||1|
|refried beans, canned or homemade||16 ounces (2 cups)|
|tortilla chips||1 large bag|
|cheddar cheese, grated||4 ounces (about 2 cups)|
|Colby Jack cheese, grated||4 ounces|
|pico de gallo||1 cup|
|chopped cilantro||1/4 cup|
|Sliced jalapeño (pickled or fresh)||1|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the taco spice combination, combine all of the following ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
In a small cup, combine all of the spices (chili powder through cayenne).
To make the beef and bean topping, follow these steps:
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Season the ground beef in the pan with the whole taco spice mix. As the meat cooks, break it up into crumbles with a spoon.
- Cook for 8 minutes, or until the meat is browned, then remove the fat in a colander.
- Add the refried beans and water to the pan with the beef. Heat the mixture until the beans are fully smooth and soft. As you prepare the chips, reduce the heat to low and keep the beef-bean mixture warm.
- To toast the tortilla chips, place them in a single layer on a 13×18-inch oven-safe platter or sheet plate, slightly overlapping them. Preheat the oven to 350°F and toast the chips for 5 minutes, or until you can smell them.
- Assemble the nachos and bake them
- Remove the pan from the oven with care and sprinkle half of the shredded cheeses on top. Until topping the chips with the beef and bean mixture, allow the heat from the chips to slightly melt the cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the remaining cheese has fully melted over the beef.
Topping and serving:
- Pico de gallo, chopped cilantro, jalapeo strips, or any other desired toppings can be added to the nachos. Serve instantly.
Serving Size: 6
Calories Per Serving: 374
% Daily Value
Total Carbohydrate 30g 11%
Total Fat 21g 27%
Dietary Fiber 14g 50%
Protein 30g 60%
Sugars 6g 12%