Delicious Swiss Steak Recipe
|top round steak||One 2 pounds|
|Salt and pepper|
|puréed tomatoes||2 cups|
|Vegetables of your choice (potatoes, carrots, beans)|
Swiss steak is a beef steak with rich tomato gravy served with side vegetables. Swiss steak can be cooked or baked. Here we have a perfect swiss steak recipe for your family meals.
- One 2 pounds top round steak
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups puréed tomatoes
- 1 thyme
- Vegetables of your choice (potatoes, carrots, beans)
- 1 tbsp. sage
- 1 tbsp. marjoram
- Take beefsteak about one inch thin. Rub flour on both sides of steak and sprinkle salt and pepper. Fill the pan with some oil and heat it. Now place steak in it and cook for 10-12 minutes,
- Now remove steak from the pan and add garlic and onion and sauté them. Now add half of the herbs into the pan.
- Now return the steak in the pan and top them with onions and herbs. Now sprinkle rest of the herbs and pour in the tomato puree.
- Now cover the pan with an airtight lid. This will circulate the steam from cooking steak and will add up more flavour. Bring steak and puree to simmer and then lower the heat.
- While steak is cooking prepare your vegetables. Take small tomatoes according to your need. Peel them and cut them into small pieces. Similarly, take beans and carrots and cut them into pieces. Now steam them in a steamer.
- After the steak is softened, remove the lid and flip the steak. Now cook for another 30 minutes by covering the pan again.
- After 30 minutes remove the pan from heat and serve with vegetables on a serving dish.
What is a Swiss steak cut of meat?
Swiss steak is a method of slow-cooking a relatively tough cut of beef, such as round steak. The meat is browned and then braised in a tomato sauce.
What’s the difference between Swiss steak and Salisbury steak?
Swiss steak is often confused with Salisbury Steak, but there is a difference between the two. A Salisbury steak is made with ground beef and shaped into a patty while Swiss steak is actually steak.
Why is it called Swiss steak?
Swiss Steak is named Swiss Steak because the meat has undergone a process called “Swissing” in order to make it tender.
What’s the worst steak cut?
Eye of round is the worst cut of beef. There’s practically zero fat which makes it flavourless and dry. My grandma used to cook eye of the round, well done, every Sunday for years. It was dry as a petrified dinosaur bone.